Monday, July 2, 2007

Subject to the Object

Two weeks ago our nine month old could not crawl very well. He did a rather awkward version of an army man belly crawl. This morning he was moving around the room with ease – as if he had taken an intensive crawling 101 course. Crossing one room used to be a major effort. Now his potential has exponentially increased. How amazing that last month's limitations have become this week’s opportunities. These last fourteen days of development have brought great change to his life. What seemed insurmountable is in reach. His eyes reveal the excitement he is feeling. No doubt, the crash course in walking is just around the corner.

As followers of Christ, we should also be growing and developing. Paul alluded to this by saying, “When I was a child, I talked like a child; I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known” (1 Corinthians 13:11-12).

As I reflect on my development as a worshiper and a teacher of worship, it astounds me how much different I am now than fifteen years ago. At that time I was relying on what I had been told. It was easier to crawl - accepting what I was taught - than learn to walk on my own. Rather than pray and probe and ponder the difficult ideas, I defaulted to what had always been handed to me. As time wore on, more and more of the convenient answers were insufficient. This dissatisfaction caused me to examine many important concepts for myself by asking several key questions. What does Scripture teach? What has the Church taught “always and everywhere?” What do trusted scholars say? Over the past decade and a half the writings of Robert Webber have influenced me more than any other – save the Scriptures.

Realizing that learning and growing should never stop, I am once again facing a “teachable moment.” In reading Dr. Webber’s last book, The Divine Embrace, I have encountered a concept challenging my predispositions – and again – I am crawling. Webber claims that Christian worship is dangerously focused on "me-centered" worship. He says, “The real underlying crisis in worship goes back to the fundamental issue of the relationship between God and the world. If God is the object of worship, then worship must proceed from me, the subject, to God, who is the object. God is the being out there who needs to be loved, worshiped, and adored by me. Therefore, the true worship of God is located in me, the subject, to God, who is the object. I worship God to magnify his name, to enthrone God, to exalt him in the heavens. God is then pleased with me because I have done my duty.

If God is understood, however, as the personal God who acts as subject in the world and in worship rather than the remote God who sits in the heavens, then worship is understood not as the acts of adoration God demands of me but as the disclosure of Jesus, who has done for me what I cannot do for myself. In this way worship is the doing of God’s story within me so that I live in the pattern of Jesus’s death and resurrection. My worship then, is the free choosing to do what Paul admonishes us to do: [Romans 12:1-2]”

For most of my ministry I have taught that God is the object of Christian worship. Soren Kierkegaard posited that God is the audience and the worshipers are the actors. This analogy has been central to my understanding. Dr. Webber seems to question this notion. He asserts that if God is objectified in worship then worshipers view Him as being an onlooker from afar. For Webber this is an incomplete portrayal of God’s position. Rather, he claims, the Lord is very active in our worship. Further, he introduces the idea that Jesus must be the subject of our worship. When Jesus is the subject, when we focus on salvation history, when we enter into the Gospel story through proclamation (ministry of the Word), and participation (ministry of the Table), then we are relocated in Jesus. What's more, we realize that the Gospel is not just the “old, old story,” but it is “new every morning.” We are in this unfolding story of God’s saving action on our behalf. Why is this important? The world seeks to reclaim us all week long. We are bombarded with the world's image of success and fulfillment - self promotion and self satisfaction. In worship, the Gospel calls us back to the spiritual pattern of death to self, burial and resurrection in Christ. While objective worship espouses the attributes of God, which is obviously good and called for, without Christ as the subject, we fail to remember the narrative that we are called to live and pass on to the next generation.

A quick analogy may bring clarity to this discussion. Little school children have different subjects each day. Math, for example, is a subject. In math class the students are taught math concepts. But, they go beyond learning math facts, they actually practice them. They don’t just attend math class, they become mathematicians. Conversely, it is possible to attend a seminar where a mathematician shares her findings. We can objectively appreciate the presenters findings, admire her process and technique. And then, we can leave the session and never participate in or practice math at all. Here is the distinction between subjective and objective worship. If Christ is the subject of our worship, and we wholeheartedly enter into the Gospel through celebration (praise), recitation (preaching), and participation (partaking of Communion), then we are living as Christians (little Christs) - much like math students become mathmeticians. But, if we objectify God, we are in danger of knowing about Him, but never becoming subject to Him. We can leave worship having declared and heard great truth about God, but never "knowing" the Truth.

This is a new concept for me and yes, I am crawling a bit - maybe even struggling. Clearly, a proper balance of espousing God’s character and entering into the Gospel narrative are vital for authentic worship to occur. Singing for 45 minutes about God’s greatness is fine. Accompany that with a sermon about reaching our potential or balancing our check books, and we have neglected the central theme of our faith. We must never forget the saving acts of Jesus. This story should animate our worship – call us to participation – and change us to live incarnationally - as Christ would live. I am praying that this challenge to my understanding of worship will become an opportunity for growth. I am willing to change, to develop, to grow if it will help me see through the glass a little more clearly and to know the Lord more completely. After all, being on our knees is not such a bad place to be.

7 comments:

Mat Whitaker said...

Carl, I think I am in agreement with you and Webber at least in intent if not in articulation. I see some limitations in the analogy of subject/object, etc, etc. but I definitely find it important to accomodate, better yet, accentuate both the transcendence and emminence of God. First of all, left to ourselves we are completely incapable of worshipping God. It is only the Holy Spirt who leads us, who draws us to worship Him. Secondly, His presence in our worship contradicts this idea of worshipping God at a distance, at arms' length. I find the work of Christ present even in the act of our worship. Even if one takes the perspective of worship being an offering of a gift of some sort at the feet of a majestic king, grace must be present. It is similar to the following analogy: A young boy, unable to buy a Christmas gift for his father spends everyday leading up to Christmas thinking and searching for the perfect gift for his father. The day before Christmas while walking through the woods behind his house, he finds some warty, fungus covered stump, and takes it home to put a couple of rusty nails in it, wraps it up and puts it under the Christmas tree for dad. On Christmas morning dad opens this rotten, barnacle infested, termite eaten log and with joy on his face and love in his heart hugs his son for giving him such a wonderful tie rack.
Obviously, this gift is lacking. It's not pretty, it's ugly, deformed, and poorly constructed. Yet there is grace shown in accepting the gift. The dad overlooks the poor materials and incompetent craftsmanship, forgiving its defeciencies and interacting with the son in such a divine way.
This analogy is quite limited I realize. Worship is much more than giving gifts to God. Yet I think it is somehow participating with God as he bestows grace upon us that we may even approach Him. And as we approach Him with what seems an imperfect, gnarled, rotting log with a couple nails sticking out, He looks and sees Perfection through a blood stained cross.

Dr. Carl M. Peters II said...

Try this analogy, Mat. You are having a birthday party. You invite all of your friends to come and you wait for the big day with great anticipation. Finally the celebration day arrives. Your heart is racing because your friends are coming to share in your birthday party. The doorbell rings and one by one your buddies enter. Each one bears a gift for you. Upon their arrival they don pointy hats, begin to blow party horns, and discuss the decorations. They even wonder about the cake - each hoping it will be their favorite flavor. For an hour and a half the party goes on...with only one problem. The guests never speak to you. They only speak about you - about what a great guy you are, what a wonderful athlete, and all around talented guy. But, not one of them ever speaks to you. How would that feel to you, the birthday boy? Bruce Leafblad, professor of worship at SWBTS has said that worship all too often consists of Christians talking about God, but rarely communicating with Him. Leafblad, and Webber agree that worship that devolves to this level lacks the interaction that worship requires. I like your illustration of the boy and his gift. What if he prepares his gift and then keeps it for himself? For many, worship is about what I expect to receive - in terms of enjoyable music, an entertaining and enlightening sermon, and a timely dismissal. When God is removed from the equation, then our interests are served and worship becomes all about meeting "my needs." You are correct that we must balance God's eminence and transcendence. God is viewed by too many as the "man upstairs." Jesus is viewed by too many as my "good buddy." Restoring a sense of and appreciation for God's holiness is critical. But, we must not relegate God to 31 billion light years away. Jesus is in us, we are in Jesus and He is in the Father. That's a pretty tight relationship! That's a truth worth celebrating!

Mark Chapman said...

Thanks to both of you for your insight and stimulation. I might add - or it may be reiteration - that worship is a participatory event involving worshippers and the Almighty in all His glory, in every aspect of the Trinity. The event is clearly outlined as requiring worshippers to approach God in Spirit and in Truth. I posit that these - Spirit and Truth - are aspects of the Trinity that we Christians have directly experienced. the Holy Spirit, Christ who is the Truth, and the awareness, depth and fervor of our own spirit, born through our faith in Christ entwine to interact and reflect God's grace to His glory.

Worship has form, but falters when a formula becomes the center, or purpose, of the event. I worship when, by faith, I reach for Him in my spirit through song, reflection upon His Word, and connecting with Him in Holy Communion. Further, I worship when I serve in His name, performing those "good works" referred to in Ephesians 2:10. In fact, I believe that our corporate worship events are closely related to all those other "good works" to which the scripture refers.

Again, thanks for the stimulation.

Dr. Carl M. Peters II said...

Thanks, Mark. Your comments are always welcome. The shift in thinking for me is Dr. Webber's ascertion that Jesus (the Gospel) is the subject of worship. The more I ponder it, the more I believe he is right. In worship we are called back into the Gospel - the life, death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. This occurs quite readily through the intentional Ministry of the Word, and the Table. In preaching, we hear the Word inspired. At the Table we experience the Word incarnate. In both, we are called to die to self and live in Christ (and Him in us.) This is quite different than performing our acts of fealty to God so that He will be pleased with us. Of course, we are to offer God our praise and adoration, but it is Jesus (the ladder, the door, the bread of life) who is the Way for us to approach the "throne of Grace." Malachi 1:11 states that we will forever offer God a pure sacrifice. The only perfect and pure sacrifice I know of is the "Once and for all sacrifice" of Jesus. In worship we "participate" in the cross (1 Cor. 10:16). How incredible is this?

ERIC CORMAN said...

Carl,Your words have given new hope in exploring God's truths. In my heart I have assumed these truths. A treasure of truthfulness are in these words. The words you wrote are buried inside me. These words are revealed in good clarity. These deep rooted desires from God came alive in your words. You allowed passge to study and develop these truths.
Eric

Listening said...

Is intimacy with Him not the most precious gift to experience not just once, but daily, forever? One thing I've noticed is the difference of those who have been "taught" Jesus and those who abide with Him. You can see it in their eyes and in the joy when they speak. You notice their quiet spirit when being tried.

I think your topic is very relevant for all who believe. At some point in time, the "essence" or if you will allow, the Spirit, has been diluted down in believers. How long will we be satisfied with a dormant Spirit? We think we are rich, yet we are poor. Not all desire the intimacy of Him and this very issue breaks my heart.

I pray for every believer to desire Him more. Longing to worship Him in a very PERSONAL and CONSTANT frame of mind. For a word picture - holding His hand, looking up into His face, waiting for Him to lead. This very act is only a part of worship but it is an imparitive part. For without this, you end up worshipping a God "up there" which is distant and lacking.

When Jesus becomes our focus, our very breath then the result is being in the will of the Father. I used to read about Enoch and think "Oh if I could walk with God that way! If I could have that kind of relationship with Him how wonderful that would be." Then I realized I was looking to the wrong person. My plumb line was off. My eyes turned to Jesus, and I saw what focus Jesus had - soley the Father..."not my will, but yours". He lived this way before the creation of the world, His days on earth, and forevermore. "Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage"

The Zondervan Pictorial Bible Dictionary elaborates on the word ‘Pilgrimage’.
“a place of sojourning or the act of sojourning – a lifetime is meant. The Hebrew root ‘ghur’ means “to dwell as a foreigner, newly come into a land in which he has no citizen rights, such as the original inhabitants possess.” The Bible usage, whether the word is translated “pilgrimage” or otherwise, began with the wanderings of Abraham and his descendants, and later was applied to the status of a believer in the one true God, dwelling on an earth unfriendly to Him and to His people.

Beautiful isn’t it? What other kind of pilgrimage could any of His children desire?

Is this not Worship?

Now a question. What would happen if all believers desired this? I believe the unity in Christ would be complete. How tremendous this would be! Is this not how the early believers were? Maybe we need to go back to our first love. "Now...just as He has taught you, remain in Him." (IJn 2:27) Delight in Him. Allow Him to be your first and only love.

Until we do, we cannot be unified. A wonderful friend opened me to the truth of the verse "The church is God's household, the pillar and foundation of the truth" (I Tim 3:15). Christ is the head of the body (I Col 1:18) and "God combined the members of the body so that there should be no division" (I Cor 12:24,25). So, this being truth, the only way is for the church to be in Christ (I Col 2:9) and until there is unity, the body is disjointed.

Remember Jesus prayed this prayer for us "for all who will believe in Him through their message, that all of them may be one" (Jn 17:20,21). He prayed "may they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." (Jn 17:23)

What a joy to see His body becoming complete. Pray all will desire Him more, walk closer to Him and adore Him - giving praise to His name.

Dr. Carl M. Peters II said...

Thank you, "Listening". You are always welcome here. Thank you for sharing the depth of your walk with Christ.

You have a wonderfully warm way of articulating your beliefs.

Indeed, may our worship be, not only about, but in Him.

Blessings to you.